Top and Bottom 10 Trip Days

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Alton Almanac Editorial B

Top and Bottom 10 Trip Days

Post by Alton Almanac Editorial B »

The Almanac is putting an online issue together - ok there is no Editorial Board, but maybe this will inspire someone to put one together!

To get the issue started, please post your top 10 trip day destinations as well as your bottom 10 (hello Squam Lake and Castle in the Clouds).

neilbrier@yahoo.com
KenWarshaw

Re: Top and Bottom 10 Trip Days

Post by KenWarshaw »

Okay, so I wasn't around long enough to have a top 10, but here's a top and bottom 3...

Top 3

- Old Orchard Beach-fun, sun, and yes, just a little bit of oogie.
- Newington Mall Movies- the great escape, from a world of boys to the world of Elizabeth Shue, Demi Moore, and a younger, hotter Kelly McGillis.
- Whale Watch- Is there anything funnier than a couple of dozen teenage boys puking their brains out?

Worst 3

- Fish Hatchery- two words...BOR-ING!!!
- Hampton Beach- too crowded and too trashy...as opposed to Old Orchard, one of the nation's finest summer destinations...Cha!
- Painting the Corral Fence after turning the fire hose on another Bunk- I wasn't directly involved in this trip day "activity" but as those of us who were there remember, those boys looked awfully upset as the rest of us piled into school busses and pulled down the camp road.

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com
DDD

• Post by DDD »

Top: Mount Washington

==============

Bottom: Getting sick on the Pirate at Old Orchard Beach

[url=http://slate.com]http://slate.com[/url]
    ddavis@copyright.com

michael stone

Post by michael stone »

top 3

tennis tournament at bretton woods (before they moved it to north conway)

canabie lake amusement park

always liked going to rochester for some reason

bottom 3

squam lake science center

unh for some shitty play that i cant remember

pease air force base

stoneyfan@aol.com
    The Jerkin Josh

Post by The Jerkin Josh »

Was Rochester where the chinese restaurant was/ or was that Dover? Either way, I can remember Jeffrey ordering flaming Poo Poo platters and practically inhaling them...

nyncboy@mail.skyrunner.net
    Uncle Neil

Chinese Food in Rochester and Dover

Post by Uncle Neil »

Dover was where the Asia Restaurant by the railroad tracks was located. They featured the famous "Asia Fantasia" which at about $8 was twice what the camp gave you to spend. The Chinese Restaurant in Rochester was the shack down past Dunkin Donuts. I forget the name, but I visited there a couple of years ago and the decor had not changed, but the owner told me that her little kids who ran around the restuarant have now graduated college!

Jeffrey's favorite was King's in Laconia where, legend has it, when asked what he wanted, he ripped the menu in half and said, "I'll order this half of the menu!"

neilbrier@yahoo.com
    Marc Harris

Post by Marc Harris »

Good job by Stoney, remembering the tennis matches. Now that he has jarred my memory, I remember seeing Arthur Ashe play there. And then sitting next to John Newcombe on the patio while grabbing a Coke.
    Always liked Hampton Beach and the movie theatre in Alton Bay; anyone remember seeing Planet of the Apes there?
    Memorable trying to get away with chucking candy out the window on camp road, and going back for it.
    Last but not least- Weirs Beach. Only if we didn't have to stop at Gunstock for picnics of P.B + J sandwiches.
    Worst trip day - not; it's ALL GOOD.
    Actually it was grueling having sing rehearsal the Thu. before the event. Didn't you just want to get on with it?
    Anyway, now I know why Thursday's just always feel good.

harrismarc@msn.com
    Gary Scharoff
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Gary Scharoff »

Speaking of jarring your memory...I too remember the tennis matches at Bretton Woods...but I remember watching a match with Rod Laver but also an unknown up and coming american teenager playing with one of the (at the time) strangest looking tennis rackets ever...a Wilson T2000...I remember watching him lose the match but entertaining all of us with some great shots and antics on the court...including shaking the clay out of his shorts after diving on his stomach for a shot...

yes it was Jimmy Connors...I remember calling home that day to tell my parents I just watched the future of tennis...it may have been the last time I made a correct observation like that!!!

But the tennis matches (which I think were called the Volvo International Tennis matches at that time) were some of the best trip days I can remember!

gms@pipeline.com
    E-Lowy

FunTown USA

Post by E-Lowy »

Fun Town was great! Fun Town, Fun Town, Fun Town. U_S_A.
    I loved those go-carts!
    I remember a green vs. grey sing on the Pirate Ship from '89 to '91

lowinlon@hotmail.com
    KenWarshaw

Re: FunTown USA

Post by KenWarshaw »

I thought it was called FunSpot??? Am I wrong, are you wrong, or are there two different places?
    Uncle Neil

Trip Day in the Breckermobile

Post by Uncle Neil »

My best trip day was in 1971 when Peter sent Mark Brecker, who then took Ricky Snyder, Alan Gluck and me, to visit Camp Winaukee to discuss scheduling some athletic contests. The story you are about to hear actually happened - at least to the best of my aging memory!

Although the car was full when we pulled out of camp, we soon picked up a hitchhiker "because he had a dog." In 5 minutes Mark had gotten the guy to tell us his entire life story and had also scared the hell out of us by petting the dog....Mark was driving, the dog was in the back seat! After dropping off our passengers, we found the Winaukee camp road (paved of course) by asking some young lady in her yard who was washing screens for directions. When Mark then offered to "help her wash her screens", her father appeared and we quickly disappeared.

Being a perfectionist, Uncle Markee wanted to be sure the road she had told us to take was the right road, so he waved down a telephone repair truck leaving the camp. He asked if we were on the right road and if Winaukee had pay phones....

After leaving Winaukee, we picked up some beverages which for safety, we were told, could only be consumed on straight-aways, not curves?!?! We took them in brown paper bags into some restaurant where we ordered lunch. Every so often Mark would collect the bags, bring them to his car, and return with them restocked...at least that was not suspicious! After lunch we stopped at some ice cream place where Mark asked if they had any ice cream "cohens" and then told the bewildered girl that we would take a "levy or a schwartz" if she had no cohens!

So now we are on our way back to camp, but Mark has to do his laundry. Being conscientious, he said we had to rush to be back on time. Thus when the clothes were drying, he told Ricky to take the towels out so the other clothes would dry faster. Being no one's fool, Rick figured Mark was up to something and began to take the laundry from the washer and throw it at Mark. This made Mark begin laughing hysterically...which of course made Rick throw even more laundry... When Rick then inquired as to why Mark thought having his laundry thrown around was so funny, Mark pointed out to Ricky that he had opened the wrong washer and that it was not Mark's laundry that he was throwing, but some poor guy that was watching in disbelief as 6'1 Ricky threw his laundry around the laundermat..at which point Rick was so taken back that he dropped the laundry on the floor...

My second favorite trip day was listening to Uncle Markie get all of NOP to chant "we want the Messiah" inside a crowded Hampton Beach hamburger/pizza joint as we waited for an afternoon shower to pass by!

And you guys thought Fun Spot USA and Chinese food in Dover and Rochester was exciting!

neilbrier@yahoo.com
    Gary Scharoff
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Trip Day in the Breckermobile

Post by Gary Scharoff »

You just can't make that stuff up!!

I can see all that happening clear as day!!!

Great stories!!!

gms@pipeline.com
    DDD

Re: FunTown USA
  • Post by DDD »

I thought the Pirate ride was at Old Orchard Beach?

(Green and Gray being the colour of campers' faces just before they hurl .... )

[url=http://slate.com]http://slate.com[/url]
    ddavis@copyright.com