The Return of Camp Alton

Food, bunks, counselors, nurses, green, grey etc...
davidhansburg

The Return of Camp Alton

Post by davidhansburg »

Dear Altonites,
We have all dreamed of the return of Camp Alton. I have decided to make that a reality. After Camp Alton closed in 1992 I decided to pursue a college football coaching career. After a successful 13 years in college football I have now made a career change into the summer camp business.
On January 5th, 2007, I became the Athletic Director and Associate Director for Camp Winadu in Pittsfield, Massachussetts. The director is an amazing man named Shelley Weiner. He has owned and operated Winadu for the last 34 years. This will be Winadu's 80th summer.
Winadu is a specialty sports camp inside of a traditional summer camp setting. It is an amazing place with great values and traditions just like Camp Alton. You do not have to be the greatest athlete to have a great time. Shelley is interested in bringing new traditions (schtick) and games to Winadu, specifically anything from Alton that would still be appropriate and fit into our program.
I am encouraging the entire Alton community to contact me for any of the following reasons:
You have a prospective camper I can contact aged 6-15.
You would like to work at Camp Winadu.
You would like to visit Camp Winadu this summer.
You have an Alton tradition you would like to see come back at Camp Winadu.
You just want to catch up.

Please call me any time at 413-315-0510 (this number will be active within the next few days)

Please email me at david@campwinadu.com

Please visit the Camp Winadu website at http://www.campwinadu.com

I look forward to hearing from the Camp Alton community.

Sincerely,
David "Goober" Hansburg - Camp Alton 1977-1992

Post by Guest »

Thats great news!

Camp kids are easier to deal with than "Buffaloes" right :-D
DDD

Gratz!

Post by DDD »

I hope it goes well, for you and they!

/Dave Davis

FYI: (my blog) http://pyegar.livejournal.com/
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

Goobs!

Great to hear from you and congrats on getting back in the camping business.

Best of luck!

-Robert "Bucky" Benjamin
goldy

thanks goober

Post by goldy »

Goober--goldy here (87-92)

Great idea, great post. no kids yet, but in about 10 years?????

hope all is well, I will share this with the rest of my childless alton buds

goldy
Ghandi

New Camp...

Post by Ghandi »

Goober,

This is fantastic. I will spread the word and try to think of any potential campers for you. I can't imagine my life without having experienced Alton and only good things can come from more kids having similar experiences.

Good luck with everything!

Dave (Ghandi) Ganick
taub

nice

Post by taub »

Hey Goobs -

Really great what you are doing. I still dream about camp all the time. I'll think about some ideas/traditions. I was always a fan of nuke 'em.

Taub

Man, how long it's been since camp!
Robert Luke

Re: The Return of Camp Alton

Post by Robert Luke »

That's really good to hear Goober. I wish you the best, and if I come across any families looking to provide their sons the experiences we all have been able to share at Camp Alton. I will defiintely recommend your camp to them.

RL

[quote="davidhansburg"]Dear Altonites,
We have all dreamed of the return of Camp Alton. I have decided to make that a reality. After Camp Alton closed in 1992 I decided to pursue a college football coaching career. After a successful 13 years in college football I have now made a career change into the summer camp business.
On January 5th, 2007, I became the Athletic Director and Associate Director for Camp Winadu in Pittsfield, Massachussetts. The director is an amazing man named Shelley Weiner. He has owned and operated Winadu for the last 34 years. This will be Winadu's 80th summer.
Winadu is a specialty sports camp inside of a traditional summer camp setting. It is an amazing place with great values and traditions just like Camp Alton. You do not have to be the greatest athlete to have a great time. Shelley is interested in bringing new traditions (schtick) and games to Winadu, specifically anything from Alton that would still be appropriate and fit into our program.
I am encouraging the entire Alton community to contact me for any of the following reasons:
You have a prospective camper I can contact aged 6-15.
You would like to work at Camp Winadu.
You would like to visit Camp Winadu this summer.
You have an Alton tradition you would like to see come back at Camp Winadu.
You just want to catch up.

Please call me any time at 413-315-0510 (this number will be active within the next few days)

Please email me at david@campwinadu.com

Please visit the Camp Winadu website at http://www.campwinadu.com

I look forward to hearing from the Camp Alton community.

Sincerely,
David "Goober" Hansburg - Camp Alton 1977-1992[/quote]