Congratulations USA

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Tony Gillott

Congratulations USA

Post by Tony Gillott »

I have just finished watching the game from Foxeboro, USA (2) v Jamaica (1) and I would love to claim the credit for the USA qualifying for the World Cup in Japan/Korea, because of my soccer skills that I demonstrated in 1970 at Camp Alton and the influence that I had that inspired Joe Max to come to England and play for Everton (a Liverpool Team). What a great strike that penalty was!!!
But, I think that the real credit should go to 'Big Geoff' and the way that he demonstrated his agility in goal in those scrimmages with Dusty, without that inspiration I don't think that Brad Freidel would have been able to defend his goal as he did.
Seriously, well done.
Tony "The Limey" Gillott

tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk
Tony Gillott

A First !!

Post by Tony Gillott »

This has to be a first, the message has been posted for about 20 minutes and Uncle Moishe hasn't seen it or responded!!!!!

tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk
Uncle Moish

Re: WRONG [again?]

Post by Uncle Moish »

Actually, only half wrong. I had indeed seen it. And while 90% of the time I "respond" to the person solely via e-mail, this time I was left a bit speechless for the following reason [which impeded even "private" reply e-mail].

As we heard today, military action has begun. I had thought it was that which was being addressed. I am most concerned for several reasons.

Many of you know that my [generally] humanitarian beliefs do NOT preclude taking strong action. [One biblical reference, and I know that every side can quote something from it to justify one's own positition, is that when one is mercifully to the cruel one becomes {perhaps inadvertently} cruel to the merciful.]

I view Afghanistan as a nation whose people at first were supportive of a theocratic state, but have come to see it seriously abused [possibly due to self-aggrandisement]. Hence, with a little bit of support, the Taliban can be overthrown. However, if not done carefully [and with pin-point accuracy], that tyrannical regime could re-gain support and the situation spin out of control.

So, dear Tony, with this on my mind, and notwithstanding the fact that we owe it to ourselves to have life proceed normally [otherwise the terrorists gain a further victory], I simply wasn't in a frame of mind for banter. Do forgive me and let's hope and pray that at this most critical juncture of world history we will be lead to do what is right, just, and lasting.

Uncle Moish

mark@lgpltd.com
Uncle Neil

It was a great game!

Post by Uncle Neil »

Tony,

I was fortunate to have been at Foxboro yesterday with a group of NEPSSA coaches to witness the 2-1 victory and the joy on the players' faces when the other results were announced and we found ourselves again qualifying (though probably ranked 32nd!) for World Cup play. Mike Schaefer ('68) was also at the NEPSSA meeting and game...did not see Dusty. It was, as Mark pointed out, a day of mixed emotions, but the new found pride in America by Americans and the new security at the stadiums definitely point to a new world since 9/11.

neilbrier@hotmail.com