Sick at Heart [but physically fine]

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Uncle Moish

Sick at Heart [but physically fine]

Post by Uncle Moish »

Since Big Jeff called a week ago this evening and informed me of our Alton loss, I've thought about Andy Kates almost non-stop. I immediately called several of you who either came to mind or were "connected" with him as revealed in the 1976-77 Alton Annual.

Many who "came to mind" were with him at another Alton tragedy of another Andy, Andy Ades. I have a most clear image of Andy K being exceptionally forlorn after the funeral as we gathered for an Alton sh'va at the home of Erik Marans. Who would have thought........

The memorial this Sunday ought to be a palliative for all of us. Anyone needing a place to "crash" [when's the last time you heard that word?] is welcome at 1562 Third Avenue. Caveat: You ought to be geared for slum conditions and a sleeping bag is highly recommended.

I thank you all for your concerns, our ...........[technical term for internet transmitter?] had originated at/from the World Trade Center. I am quite well [physically], but we did experience a non-Trade Center based cause of grief. Many of you know and/or had heard of my close friend and [only?] client, Isaac [made famous by Neil B. as part of the "Bonnie and Isaac" team]. His mother passed away the first day of Rosh HaShanah and was buried next to Isaac's father this morning. She had been his second wife, the first, along with his three daughters, shot by the Nazis right in front of his eyes. [He was taken to a labor camp, shot and dumped into a mass grave, but, "only" wounded, feigned being dead and crawled out from under the corpses at nightfall. He then joined partisan forces which attacked sleeping Nazis encampments with their bare hands and accomplished that which Osama Bin Laden so richly deserves. Isaac's mother had met him at a DP camp after she "graduated" Auschwitz. Two of her nine other siblings also survived.

So, these past ten days have been "something else". My words cannot express the depth of solace I receive from the Alton family.

Lots of love,
Uncle Moish

mark@lgpltd.com