Wolfeboro Fair

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Sid

Wolfeboro Fair

Post by Sid »

Well it's another 4th of July and without fail this holiday always reminds me of the Wolfeboro Fair and the "Nights Out" spent attending. What was the name of that gambling game we all played ?? The memories of bumming a ride to town, doing the fair, hitting Baily's on the way home and most likely walking down the camp road in total darkness (acting like we weren't scared) are still vivid even after many many years.
Isn't it incredible that we still look at the summer calendar and still put the dates in a Camp perspective. I still think in terms of when I would have arrived the week before camp started, when the first day of camp would be, rush day , etc.
My little ones started day camp on a Thursday (June 21) and it didn't escape me that Camp would have started the same day.
I hope everyone is well and this is a great time of year to wax nostalgic. Let's hear from you guys !!!

mclevy@xpnonline.net
Uncle Moish

Re: Thanx Sid

Post by Uncle Moish »

You're right on the "mark". Hardly a day passes without my saying "3 months til camp", "3 weeks til camp", "this week, camp", "would it have been today?". [Though I was under the impression that Sunday starting dates predominated the last two decades.] And, the "game" was "Chuck-a-Luck" where, as a kitchen boy way back when I blew a week's salary despite the wheelmaster's warning: "Don't watch me, watch the wheel."
Thanks, Sid, for the Trip Day. Always good to get a break on a Thursday.
Best to all,
Uncle Markie

mark@lgpltd.com
Tony Gillott

Re: Wolfeboro Fair

Post by Tony Gillott »

I never did get the hang of you guys with your funny accents, I thought it was "Chug-a-Lug"
Strange way of talking!!!
Maybe because you 'Chucked' all the tea overboard and had nothing civilised to drink you never developed your vocal chords properly.
Best wishes guys.
Tony G.

tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk
Paule

Post by Paule »

And where is Mo Dubrow, the all-time king of chuck-a-luck? Hey Lala, remember your post chuck-a-luck rendevous with the Wolfeboro police force behind the bowling alley?

paul@levitanfamily.com
Duvke

Post by Duvke »

Maybe Chuck-a-Luck hasn't changed, but what would camp be like today, nearly 10 years since its last summer?
- Two-week campers?
- Electricity in the bunks?
- Multi-media pick night?
- Personal audio devices still banned (aka Walkmen), but hand-held DVD players de rigeur?
- Baby boomer parents insist on important and enriching activities such as elective SAT prep?
- Special residential visiting week so that family vacations can occur at camp with full access to activities and equipment?
- Guest chefs from New England's finest restaraunts prepare meals once a week?
- On-staff legal counsel to litigate weekly honor roll?
And of course,
Hollow plastic tubes replace tree trunks for flag schticks.

witkin@gateway.net
Tony Gillott

Post by Tony Gillott »

Heeeeeeeey Sid.
What is this "Bumming a ride to town" did you not get the 'Lady' with the big 'Bezooombahs' from Kehonka, (You know the one, her Daddy left her the 'Caddy' for the summer) to give you a ride and then drive you into town afterwards.
Then walking down the road in total darkness????
No way, because we all stopped at the 'Brook and Bridle' (remember the summer staff quarters across the way) and then following some 'R&R' we got chauffeured home in daylight.
That's how I remember it.
Best wishes all.
Tony Gillott

tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk