Grandma Phoebe

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Josh Tager

Grandma Phoebe

Post by Josh Tager »

To my Alton friends who knew her, my Grandma Phoebe, 101, passed away in her sleep on Monday. As they say in showbiz, she had a good run.....

I was at the funeral today and had a long talk with Wally & Betty Guralnick about 1967. Peter and Alex were my bunkparents in O-2 and flower power ruled the bunkline.

My aunt introduced her as Rose Marson, and I am thinking to myself....that is not ROSE, Rose had to be at least as old as my Grandma and I was pretty sure that she is no longer with us either...we finally got it all straightened out.

She mentioned that Jacob and Nina were both living in NYC.

Camp Alton lives.....

Be well,

jt

nyncboy@email.skyrunner.net
Joel Orris

Re: Grandma Phoebe

Post by Joel Orris »

Josh,

Sorry to hear about your Grandma Phoebe. You are right, She had a great run! I remeber being introduced to her one year as she was one of our drivers to Paragon Park. As I recall, the ride with Grandma Phoebe that night was better than the ride on the old Paragon coaster!

Joel

joel.orris@rbcdain.com
Uncle Markie

Re: Grandma Phoebe and Joel's Memory

Post by Uncle Markie »

First, my sincere and deep condolences to Josh, Seth, and the rest of the family.

Joel, you must be thinking of the ride TO Paragon Park. On the ride back I was the designated driver of Phoebe's car. I don't recall how ANYONE arrived there, but can still see her accompanying us all around the park, hardly ever letting Seth stray too far.

The car was, quite frankly, almost as out of shape as "yours truly". By the time we left a misty chill settled over the area and I tended to feel that contributed to the auto's desire to stall at every stop/light.

The only way of minimizing this was to shift the gear into neutral while keeping a modicum of gas flowing through the engine. But Grandma would have none of it. Each of her "Young man, you're in neutral again" brought the car back to drive and as I would remove my foot from the accellerator, I prayed that the light would speedily change. At least half the time my prayers went unheeded. And accompanying each stall I would hear "Young man, you stalled again". As logic would dictate, I heard the latter phrase perhaps but half as often as the former.

It was indeed a great night, a mere 28 1/2 years ago if my memory could compete with that of Joel [or, as our beloved Jeffrey G. would say: "Tanta Yiddel", a phrase of which I disapprove and hence "decline" to perpetuate].

Rest in Peace, Grandma Phoebe.

Sadly,

Reb Moish

P.S. [to Phoebe] It is some comfort envisioning the greeting you surely received from your close friend Rose Marson a/k/a "Mrs. M"].

mark@lgpltd.com