Message Board subject matter

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Bob Aronoff

Message Board subject matter

Post by Bob Aronoff »

I'm on both sides of the fence. Camp is camp but amongst other matters, Camp was also an intellectually stimulating experience -- no subjects were barred. Camp was enriching because of it and because it wasn't a restrictive experience (e.g., run according to any dogma).

And I agree the Message Board isn't a place to discuss various matters unrelated to camp but something like baseball was definitely camp chatter, especially when it came to the Red Sox (in "my" time). Agreed, some subjects aren't fit for the Camp Alton Message Board.

On the other hand, Camp was a distinctly ethnic Jewish experience (in "my" time and I suspect thereafter) and let's not forget it was founded by a Jew/s for that purpose! I understand Camp widened its horizons to non-Jews later on. It is my contention Chief was a genius to have organized Camp Alton as he did and yet delegated to running of Camp to others. It was a superb enactment of his mind in a world hostile to Jews for 2000 years to create a "Jewish" experience as I saw and see things in retrospect. And things haven't changed that much, either, but that's another subject.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Gary Scharoff has invested untold hours for our exclusive pleasure. It is still his message board, he leases it out at no cost for our use and pleasure. He rightfully has a big say in what can or can not be seen. It wouldn't hurt to help him out from time to time if just to show our appreciation for his efforts. He has done more than anyone to keep Camp "alive" after Camp's physical demise, an atrocity if there ever was one, with remembrances and photos. Chief's story alone is very inspiring. Camp was a very special spot for the very few Chief electged to admit to Camp Alton (in "my" time). I considered it a privilege than as now, if I'm not being too maudlin.

It would be nice if all former Campers were aware of this website as many friendships were formed at Camp. I mean I sure would like to know and contact some of my fellow Camp mates but who knows how to reach these fellows now or if they are even alive.

aronoff@sbcglobal.net