Questions about Chief

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Bruce C. Novak

Questions about Chief

Post by Bruce C. Novak »

As a relative newcomer at Camp,starting in 1968, I only got to spend 2+ summers at Camp under Chief & Mrs. M. I clearly remember him being taken away by ambulance in 1970.
As my family sat at the table over Thanksgiving, my Mom memtioned about Chief at Boston Latin. Asking her why, she said a book she is reading about Leonard Bernstein talks about Bernstein recalling fondly his history teacher at Boston Latin, Philip Marson. He recalls Marson as being like a "father" figure to him. I don't remember much about Chief, but for reading at Campfire assembly, and a few old stories. If some of the Camp folk out there, people like Dick Kasher,Moishe, Mel Kohn and the many others would like to add to the story telling, I'm sure many of us would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. BCN

bcnone@hotmail.com
Uncle Moish

Forgive Me Peter

Post by Uncle Moish »

for the following inaccuracies and/or intrusion into a personal, familial realm. But Chief, like Alton, is a part of all of us.

Chief came, I believe, from what would be described as a more modest background than Mrs. M. It was a while ago, but I vaguely recall his telling me that his father was more often than not "on the road" peddling goods from town to town. There also existed a modicum of religious observance in his background. Yet when heard that his grandfather had just passed away and observed grandma coming down the stairs reciting the sh'ma, Chief thought to himself how bizarre was that combination, there being no nexus between his grandfather's demise and his grandmother's recitation.

I don't know the extent to which Chief observed dietary laws in the early part of his life, but I did hear that his introduction to pork came after it was revealed to him that the "lamb chops" Mrs. M served one evening had actually been its pork counterpart. Apparently they passed culinary muster and any previous lines of demarcation faded away.

The morning after Jacob Marson Guralnick's birth evoked a most moving "Chief Event". After providing the details, some of the stats, etc. Chief remarked "and I am most grateful" as his head tilted towards the sky. It was quite apparent to Whom Chief was grateful.

Chief was tough but sympathetic. My first year as camp chaplain, perhaps as I had just turned 17, was traumatic, the services chaotic, and my voice seldom audible. Adding to my despair was the absence of prayer books, which were not to arrive until mid-season. Chief offered to not only be present, but to sit right next to the pulpit. While the lack of prayer books diminished audience participation, this provided a further glimpse into our phenomenal Chief; at the appropriate juncture, Chief, from memory, recited the three paragraphs of the Sh'ma!

Thanks Brucie for bringing all this back to me.

mark@lgpltd.com
Mel Kohn

Re: Questions about Chief

Post by Mel Kohn »

I do not have the same great memory as The Great Spiritual One, Markie, but I do have some memories that the "younger crowd" (if such a group exists any more) might find informative.

Like Markie I began my camp experience in the kitchen. This was an existence in which I did have a chance to come in contact with Chief and Mrs. M since I was one of the selected few who brought in the food to Chief's dining room. I would run back and forth replenishing the table of selected goodies. I remember the chef preparing the best of the best for that dining room. Nothing would be sent in unless it was perfectly prepared and presented. Once or twice I actually sat down and spoke to other people at the table. This was a big time event for an 17 year old...in the "inner sanctum." There was usually the same crowd around the table...the doctors and nurses, head of tennis, sports and swim along with their wives. Looking back, they were the best of the best at camp.

One of the "fun" times at camp with Chief was the weekly sunday evening counselor meetings. After taps we would all gather in the small dining room to go over the week and the one to follow. As many of you know the room was divided into the "in" and "out" crowd. People actually gravatated to special tables for the event. There was a "neutral" area for long time quiet participants and possibly mew comers who had not settled in. Chief would bring up issues and then the ideological battles would begin. The debate would only be for the hardy. Many times it would settle in between the athletic crew and the waterfront. As everyone knows the waterfront was not one of Chief's favorite spots. Stories were often told of the last time people saw him on the beach...or even near it. His love was sports. When I had to find a spot when I left the kitchen and became a real counselor, it was to the waterfront I went. Honestly, I was not the greatest athlete and swimming seemed the best place for me. Anyway, back to the meetings. Chief would lean back and let the debate go on until it was time to stop and he would say a few words and a vote would take place. Prize camper votes were the best of the best. He, like all of us, had our favorites and we all fought for them. Sometimes a kid would win the award 35 to 4 or to 1; othertimes it had to be unaimous. It all depended on who you supported. Waterfront votes never seemed to count as much...shades of Florida and the Ukraine...

When all is said and done, my memories of Chief have always been of a super human figure. Running a meeting, reading the stories at campfire, serving food to him, dropping something off in his ofice, getting my paycheck and my summer evaluation...I mean, it was CHIEF I was talking to!!!

I wish I was a bit older at the time to appreciate all that he had done in the earlier years.

mhk0711@aol.com
Mel Kohn

Re: Questions about Chief 2

Post by Mel Kohn »

While reading over my message I noticed a couple of mistakes. Sorry for not double checking. More support for camp putting me on the waterfront.

mhk0711@aol.com