This curse, that's what!

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Bob Aronoff

This curse, that's what!

Post by Bob Aronoff »

Yogi is right, it ain't over 'til it's over. The playoffs aren't the World Series the last I heard. This prediction made here and now on the 23 of Oct is that the shredded and worn-out Red Sox will be on an overnight at Camp Alton behind the athletic field before they get their act together regardless of whether it's Houston or St. Louie. Be nice to see Clemens put a hurt on 'em, too, if he still got it in him to groove it on the Sox. They'll be rockin' in Boston if this stage is ever set up.

Nevertheless, he'll be pumped if the Astros can get the job done tonight. Beyond emotions of the moment, St Louis has got the horses, played in a tougher league and will be in better physical shape. They proved in the regular season they can walk the walk if Houston can't do it. Houston, on the other hand, is baseball's hottest club, without a doubt. They don't lose 3 straight to win 4 straight. They win consistently.

The Red Sox have been playing with a horseshoe in their rear but the Astros or the Cards will get the job done in a fashion to make National League fans whistle a winning tune. The so-called curse is intrinsic and inherent -- how else can you explain gold-gloved Buckner letting a garden-variety, common ground ball go between his legs and losing a Series for the Red Sox on it?

aronoff@sbcglobal.net
KenWarshaw

Re: Curse Shmerse

Post by KenWarshaw »

Curses only live in the minds of the ignorant and the small-minded. Babe Ruth is dead, he does not haunt me, my family and friends, or my beloved Red Sox. If you want to say that the Sox are haunted, it is only by the legacy of poor management and ownership.

From Harry Frazee to Tom and Jean Yawkee, from Zimmer to McNamara to Grady Little, and let's certainly not forget Dan Duquette, the Red Sox management (both on field and in the front office) has been almost as incompetant as the Bush administration (sorry, had to do it).

The Sox sold Babe Ruth, they traded away Schilling, Bagwell, and Eckersley. They let Fisk, Clemens, Lynn, and dozens of others go. They refused to pitch their best pitchers in important games (just ask Bill Lee, he still hates Zimmer). They kept in some pitchers too long and took others out too soon. And in regard to Bill Buckner, John McNamara had absolutely NO IDEA what a defensive substitution was. Buckner was barely able to walk with his bum leg and Johnny Mac didn't replace him when he should have.

Of course after the regime change, we are now under the wonderful guidance of Theo and the Trio and while Terry Francona is certainly no Stephen Hawking, he doesn't seem incompetant either.

There is no such thing as a curse. If the Sox lose, it is because they were outplayed and/or outmanaged. But that ain't happening my friends, becuase this IS the year!!!

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com
Allan Goodman

Re: This curse, that's what!

Post by Allan Goodman »

I read Bob Aronoff's note with dismay, since I camped together with him at Camp Alton in 1944-48, and know him well. It seems to me that the LA SMOG has gotten to his brain and caused serious deterioration. Maybe that's what happened to his Dodgers as well.

The Boston Red Sox of 2004, under the leadership of the Trio lent from San Diego (Lucchino, Steinberg, and Theo Epstein) staged the greatest comeback in the history of Major League Baseball, and are prepared to bring the World Series Trophy back to Boston (next to the Yankees they own the most World Series Triumphs)this coming week.

Since I got to know Ted Williams (from San Diego, Calif) well in his latter years, I know that somewhere in "Heaven" he is counseling his successors and jumping up an down with JOY.

May LA Bob shake his head a little (to get rid of the smog) and the other doomsayers on this website live to see the Red Sox win it all next week.

Allan H. Goodman, San Diego, Calif.

acegood@aol.com
Tony Gillott

10-3

Post by Tony Gillott »

According to the London Times the Red Sox won!
10-3 was the score, only the third team to come back from a 3-0 deficit and the other two were Ice Hockey teams!!
I remember, George Lahoud, Carl Ystremsky, Boomer or was it Bomber Scott and all the other guys, as I said it 'I remember it well'
Good luck
Tony G

[url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 11,00.html]Glorious Red Sox rout Yankees[/url]
tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk