my two cents

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Joe D.

my two cents

Post by Joe D. »

Okay, many of you pre-date me (at camp if not in chronological age....) but I was the guy lurking through the rec hall (the quaint building down the hill from the a-field) from the mid 80's thru the mid 90's, (I remember that my first day at camp was a couple of short weeks after the birth of Dave Davis' son who must be an adult by now....)
I've been teaching at this little CT prep school for some years now, but every year we take our 9th graders on a "retreat" (I'll leave the exact itinerary to your fertile imaginations) to a NH camp owned by the family of one of our teachers. Come to find out it's the "sister camp" to Camp Moosalauke - which the CA 12-year-old baseball team refered to by another name, having something to do with said moose's reproductive organs as I recall. Anyway, being at camp (though regretably not THE camp) with a bunch of kids again always reawakens images of 11 musical (...and single) summers.

With everything that camp gave everyone, it gave me my wife! a nurse to whom I've been married these last 10 years. (Some of you might remember my (now) sons Keith and Brendan who spent a couple of summers in the early 90's, the latter in my bunk...)
Mitch's ministrations not withstanding ("Mitch, Pat the nurse..."?) I believe I'm the only Altonite to actually marry a camp nurse, tho I may be wrong about this...

Sorry for the wordiness, folks. Would love to hear from anyone who might remember me from from the best 11 summers I ever had....

jdesisto@renbrook.org
DDD

Re: my two cents

Post by DDD »

Awesome to heare from you Joe!

Colin D. is indeed of adult age (22). Maturity level, eh, well, it varies. ;-)

DDD
Michael Kupersmith

Post by Michael Kupersmith »

Don Ulin married nurse Sue Carver. Their daughter,Liz, spent at least one of her early summers at camp.

kuper@mail.crt.state.vt.us
KenWarshaw

Post by KenWarshaw »

Hey Joe,

I was the skinny kid with the tenor sax. I remember you well. We played together in many a music night act. Hope all is well.

One of my fondest music night memories is when we (the Good Old Alton Brothers Boys Band...we'll talk to Bob) would do our rendition of Shake Your Tail Feather (or whatever the name of that song is) and Danny or Tommy would say "Joe, this keyboard has no action left in it" a la Ray Charles (may he rest in peace) and you would go off on that groovy intro. I loved that act and those summers at Alton were among my favorites too.

Keep on posting.

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com
Uncle Neil

Post by Uncle Neil »

Joe,

What period today is Pippen rehearsal?

Best regards,

Neil

neilbrier@yahoo.com
joe D.

Post by joe D. »

Thanks for the final word on that, Mike

I suspected that after all those years we were probably not alone in that distinction

now.... how do I tell my wife?

jdesisto@renbrook.org
DDD

Post by DDD »

>how do I tell my wife?

Semaphore, at a half-mile, on a dark and stormy night, while facing the other way, underwater.
Professor

Post by Professor »

" I was walking by my bunk the other day when this frog came up to me....."
Sorry for waking up your bunk so many times, but honestly it was more Joel's fault than mine.
My question is when will you let your child borrow your car?
Seriously...hope all is well. You certainly contributed to camp in many ways.
P.S. What time is rehearsal for.....The Wizzzzzzz?

jaxdadpeaz@aol.com
Mitch Ross

Post by Mitch Ross »

Joe,

I resemble that remark.....

I believe Peter G. came up with that line, he was so proud (of the line, not the act).

Great to hear from you, big fella.

Mitch

mitchelljross@hotmail.com
Uncle Neil

Steve Friedberg

Post by Uncle Neil »

Professor,

You will be happy to hear that your ol' buddy Steven Friedberg recently became a father. You will be VERY disappointed to hear that they did not name the baby "Professor!" Oh well...

neilbrier@yahoo.com
Joel Orris

Post by Joel Orris »

Sure isn't it always like The Pledge to blame me for our nightly crusades. It was also the Pledge's idea to do the Dueling DeSistos that night. I was walking down the bunkline the other day and I stepped on a grape and it let out a little wine! What day is The Whiz?

joel.orris@rbcdain.com
Professor

Re: Steve Friedberg

Post by Professor »

Funny you should mention that Neil as I was just told the same thing from a friend that saw Steve at a wedding....mazel tov to him!!!

jaxdadpeaz@aol.com
sam miller

Post by sam miller »

Joe and Mitch:

Jacob G. actually came up with the "Pat... the Nurse" line.

Joe, hope you are well up in CT. Sometime you'll have to come down to NYC to see the latest incarnation of the Alton Brothers -- me, Jake, Jimmy Lewin on drums and non-altonite but fellow idiot on bass guitar.

I'm often missing your sage (and parsley) advice about how to warm up my voice. I now use scotch, which was not an option on Music Nights.

Also thought of you the other day when I read that Steve Stone was flipping out on the Cubs.

"you know, harry, my cigars come from Honduras, and so does Gerald Young."

maulmule@hotmail.com