Reminiscences

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Bernie Sweet

Reminiscences

Post by Bernie Sweet »

I was a counselor at Camp Alton in 1954 -- possibly 1955 -- and 1957. I was piano accompanist in Eddie Goldman's music classes my first year and finally, a swimming instructor under Don Ulin. That said, I recently discovered the Alton web site and was shocked to learn that camp was sold in 1992. Peter Shapiro, Joel Reingold and I have met again on the internet. "Tiny Reiney" was one of my first campers as was Bobby Fisher and Paul Daum's younger brother. Other remembrances include Barry Bortnick's skill as a French Hornist, Phin Tobe's excellence as a violinist and "Chief" reading from Genesis every morning at breakfast assembly on the rocks dock side. Harry, our chef, was not only a first class culinary artist, but played superb jazz trumpet usually from a canoe out in the middle of the lake at night. Imagine listening to that. The counselors' retreat was under the Marsons' quarters in the administration pavilion. Dr. and Mrs. Walter Guralnick of Boston were frequent visitors. I think Mrs. Guralnick was Chief's and Mrs. M's daughter. Little Peter Guralnick, now a famous author and finally camp director in his own right, scampered around the property endlessly and everywhere. How sad it was to learn that Peter Stromberg ("Dr. Doom") has passed away. I can't seem to recall the counselor whose wrestling name was "The Champion". There was one contender for heavy weight honors who wrestled under the pseudonym "Peter, The Pupick Puller." Alan Wulf, and his brothers Richard and Henry became my great friends. Their late and beloved mother called them her Airedales. I seem to find Alan in his family business place in Brookline every ten years or so. Well, so much for instant recall. I'll try again next time. 6/10/04

bernarda@bellsouth.net