Another memory from the past is now just that!!
These are the positings from the old message board !!

Gary Scharoff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another memory from the past is now just that!!
  • Post by Gary Scharoff »

Just found this posted from another website...

For all those that remember the Hickory Stick...that would especially be you Uncle Neil...

This is another sad day in the history of Camp Alton!!!

May it rest in peace!

Here is another article: http://www4.citizen.com/news2004/May200 ... 11.04a.asp

The photo and link above is courtesy of The Citizen Online of Laconia NH and Geoff Cunningham Jr. (you will need to copy the address to your browser)

Gary

[url=http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs ... 50327/1001]Hickory Stick Closing After 50 Years[/url]
    [img]http://www4.citizen.com/news2004/May200 ... _large.jpg[/img]
    gms@pipeline.com

Ghost of Doom

Re: Another memory from the past is now just that!

Post by Ghost of Doom »

The place was highly overrated. Bunch of Yankees sitting around saying "MM MM this is the best duck I ever had.? Give me my Coors light and a 2 pound Lobster in Perkins Cove.

doctordoom@hotmail.com
    Uncle Neil

Post by Uncle Neil »

Ghost of Doom I agree with you about it being overrated! I went to the Hickory Stick only three times in 18 years. Mel was the one who worshipped the place...I was (am) far too cheap to worship a place with those prices! Give me shredded duck lomein in NY Chinatown @ $4.50 any day over "The Stick" (it to you)!

neilbrier@yahoo.com
    Mel Kohn--Jewronimo

Post by Mel Kohn--Jewronimo »

You know, memories are often nothing more than events that you are darn sure happened a certain way. I was never in the "in crowd" but I remember hanging out with he guys just as if I was. I remember working on the swim crew knowing that it was just as important to camp as the A crew. I remember my vote in the Sunday evening counselor's meeting counting the same as Biff's. And I remember nights at the Hickory Stick. But these memories are actually quite real.

Sitting in the back room with 20 or so Altonites, even with the musty odor, are some of my best memories of camp. I usually organized them claiming that it was to celebrate my birthday but it was just an excuse. We talked, we ate, we joked and sometimes even paid the whole bill without screwing someone for another $20. The duck soup tasted great as did the duck pate (sp?). I started ordering 1/4 duck with the cheese ball but after a few years of arguing with Chief and Peter for more money, I could afford the 1/2 duck. The hickory stick for desert was quite good and the coffee was always great. Claiming to be too young, I never drank.
    We always got lost finding the place and when we got back to camp, we ending up meeting in the counselor's room often watching someone hit the ceiling with a broom handle trying to wake-up the boss. We ried to go on a saturday night since on sunday we would have an extra hour of sleep (Levy time). I'm sorry to see it close. Gary Schaoff and I ate there a year ago and the food was just the same. Was it the best food we ever ate...probably not but the memories were darn good. I think I arranged for Gary to put in a few extra bucks for the tip. Ah, just like the good old days!

Jewronimo (another memory...I was really bad that night)

mhk0711@aol.com
    Ken Yoffe

Post by Ken Yoffe »

Hey Mel (or anyone),
    What was the name of that greenish gelatin-like dessert they served? My memory (of maybe 3 visits in 16 years) is that the duck was pretty good--though I have nowhere else to compare it to--but you ate that dessert more out of obligation to the bill ($$$$). I think Mel, with a very straight face, once told us CITs that it was made out of duck intestines......

kenyoffe@yahoo.com
    Mel Kohn

Post by Mel Kohn »

I do not remember the name but I do remember that it had pineapple in it. Maybe one of our former Quacks (Gary or Ron) might know.

mhk0711@aol.com
    Duvke

Post by Duvke »

Zippy pineapple salad- it was one of the two salad choices, I think the other was green salad.

By the way, Kappy, if you read this, did Hickory Stick make a good grilled cheese sandwich?

dw0613@cox.net
    Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Duvke,

Believe it or not I liked the duck. But, I really hate lobster. I fondly remember my $4 burger and grilled cheeses while you guys ate $40 lobsters. Hope you are doing well, wish we were catching up at campcraft.

Kappy

a.e.kaplan@att.net