Cornbread

These are the positings from the old message board !!

David Sorkin

Cornbread

Post by David Sorkin »

Saw the end of "Cornbread, Earl and Me" on the FLIX channel yesterday, and it brought back memories of the Camp Alton movie projector. Does anyone else remember this one? Of all of the third-rate 70's movies I remember seeing on CA movie night (and there were a lot of them), this one has to be the all time classic. It featured a basketball player named Cornbread, a young Laurence Fishburne, and one of the greatest movie theme songs ever. Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who has had the "Cornbread" song stuck in his head for 20 years. (Early 80's alums...help me out here...)

david.sorkin@earthlink.net
Dan "Spike&q

Re: Cornbread

Post by Dan "Spike&q »

I bought that Flick on DVD about a year ago JUST because of the Camp Memories it brings back...

that and Fast Break with Gabe Kaplan!!!

now If I can only screen it out side at the rocks or the Rec. Hall and watch the big moth shadows on the screen!

altaholic@hotmail.com
Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

I remember viewing Cornbread at the rocks.

However, I have no idea where these came from, but at some point I picked these up....

He was runnin with a pop
when a cop
took a shot
hes cornbread
and now hes dead

He used to be a blunder
and now hes 6 feet under
hes cornbread
and now hes dead

dganick@bosben.com
KenWarshaw

Ah, The Memories of Movie Night

Post by KenWarshaw »

Second rate!? Who are you kidding? I am a total movie addict and I owe it all to Movie Night and Trip Day. Where else would a young, impressionable teenager of the 80s get to see such classics as "It Happens Every Spring", "Bang the Drum Slowly", "Silver Streak", "Bronco Billy", "The Fly (original), and of course, as Ghandi mentioned, "Fast Break"? And who else remembers going to the Newington Mall Theater to see "Fletch", Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "About Last Night" starring (as I believe Paule put it) Demi Moore, More, More...

And of course, there was the evening when Movie Night made history with the history making viewing of the unedited version of "Stir Crazy".

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com
KenWarshaw

Re: Ah, The Memories of Movie Night

Post by KenWarshaw »

Correction: It was Spike who referenced "Fast Break", not Ghandi...we have to keep our credits straight for the permanent records, sorry about that Spike.

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com
Dan "Spike&q

Post by Dan "Spike&q »

no problemo...

Don't forget this gem at the Newington Mall...

Summer Rental w/ John Candy...

dis gets me tinking...

I think we should do a run of CA Reunion T shirts
Green with the camp Logo...and such
think we can get Donna Karan do design em? ;-)

altaholic@hotmail.com
Dan "Spike&q

Post by Dan "Spike&q »

oh and don't forget:

MY FAVORITE YEAR with Mark Lin Baker and a Older yet still great Peter O'toole!!!

I am still pissed at Rabinowitz for not taking me to se Sleepy LaBeef...he promised to take Rodger Egbert and I if we could name One tune...Egbert cheated and looked at a tape of Tommy G's one night...and we had the song...Boogie Oooggie Blues or somethin like that...instead we got to stay to watch FASTBREAK for the third time!!!

Spoiler Ahead:

SWISH WAS A CHICK!!!!

altaholic@hotmail.com
michael stone

Post by michael stone »

movie nights in the 70's were amazing..we got to see classics like the marx bros..the harder they fall,experiment in terror,grapes of wrath,wait until dark,12 angry men,caine mutiny,all the kings men,and many others that i am sure as 10-15 year olds we would hve never seen.......

and as far as theatres go...the movie theatre in alton bay was a classic...and who remember seeing jaws and tommy at the hatch theatre

stoneyfan@aol.com
Gary Scharoff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gary Scharoff »

Being in Camp during the '70's we missed this particular classic...but according to the Apollo Movie Guide and I quote:

"While the most memorable films of ?black cinema? from the 1970s were exploitation flicks like Superfly and Shaft, it?s worth noting that several worthwhile smaller movies hit the screens as well. One example is Joseph Manduke?s earnest and entertaining, yet relatively forgotten, film Cornbread, Earl and Me. Though a few overwrought scenes are reminiscent of an overly-dramatic television movie, on the whole this is an involving and touching film.

The plot revolves around young Wilford Robinson and his admiration for local basketball hero Nathaniel ?Cornbread? Hamilton. Cornbread has earned a basketball scholarship and in two weeks will be the first one from his New York City neighbourhood to attend college. Wherever Cornbread goes, Wilford is not far behind. Storekeepers, teachers and neighbours alike all admire Cornbread?s decency and heart, and Wilford emulates his hero?s every move."

Now we used to see all the Marx Brothers movies...thanks to Mel Kohn and my all time favorite was "Dial M for Murder" which every time shown kept everyone from going to sleep for days at a time...it also did not help that the counselors waited in the dark bunks for our return to scare the crap out of us!!! I remember arguing over who would be the lead to enter the bunk...even with all the flashlights no one wanted to venture in...

Ahhh movie night!

Gary

[url=http://www.apolloguide.com/mov_fullrev. ... cific=4328]Review of Cornbread Earl & Me[/url]
[img]http://www.apolloguide.com/images/mov_g ... rnearl.jpg[/img]
gms@pipeline.com
Gary Scharoff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ooops

Post by Gary Scharoff »

Ok...guess I had a senior moment there...it wasn't Dial M For Murder but as Stoney mentioned...it was in fact "Wait Until Dark"

I guess I blocked it out of my mind 30 years later!

gms@pipeline.com
Steve Yogi Berkowitz

Post by Steve Yogi Berkowitz »

Ah movie night on the rocks with a sugar daddy and covered in Off, and going into town and seeing Good bye Colombus!!! Wow the memories

bzerk1@aol.com
Neil Rubenstein

Post by Neil Rubenstein »

My all time favorite was Woody Allen's "What's up Tiger Lily" shown in the mess hall because it was pouring.

I laugh my ass off at the end credits with the dancer.

nrubenstein@rwcom.com
Adam Weisman

Post by Adam Weisman »

I remember "The Eiger Sanction" was showing at the Alton Bay Cinema, and it was rated "R". Peter G. made them cover the projector when George (remember her???) ran topless through the countryside, and Clint Eastwood tried to keep up with her.

"Around the World in 80 Days" with Peter Niven was on Turner Classic Movies the other night. Another Alton movie night classic.

ajwcaw12@yahoo.com
E-Lowy

Post by E-Lowy »

I had to post these from my time:

- Young Frankenstein - every year I was a camper
- The princess bride
- Willy Wonka and the 27 Dorks

lowinlon@hotmail.com
Tony Gillott

Post by Tony Gillott »

My memories of Movie Night also remind me of Geoffrey, he loved his movies.
My fondest, though, was after watching Bridge over the River Kwai (1970) and the Big Guy marching off whistling the theme tune from the movie.
He was a Star, just never on celluloid!
Regards
Tony

tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk