WITH THE PERMISSION OF PAUL KATES

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Uncle Moish

WITH THE PERMISSION OF PAUL KATES

Post by Uncle Moish »

Although I had received from Paul permission last year to relate the following, I decided that it being but one year, emotions would be exceedingly raw.

On Wednesday, September 12, 2001 Jeffrey Greenfield called in shock, telling me that Andy had been taken from us. OLAV Ha-SHALOM ALECHEM, both of you.

Thursday morning I called to share this with Neil Brier and was told he had a cousin on one of the four planes. I carried with me that day the 1976 Alton Annual [the last year of its printing] to share my grief with those close to me, proceeding to the offices of ["baby"] Zamir's father, Isaac [of "Bonnie and Isaac"]. Although Isaac was not in, I showed Arlene, his office manager, Andy's D-1 bunk picture [Counselors Greg Goodman - my camper in 1969 and 1973 - and Jeff Dubrow - 1975]. On the gray side of the page was Steve Poverman whose picture I alluded to as the company had done business with Steve's cousin.

Friday night I slept on the living room floor [Moms, visiting, got the bedroom]. I dreamt of Steve's sister whom I met but once, on a trip day, perhaps 1980, to York Beach. I vaguely recall this young teenager coming towards us asking for [one of the] Povermans. As soon as she started to speak one of the trip counselors smilingly stated to her: "You must be a Poverman!" [Few families have such common, distinctive physical characteristics as do the Povermans.]

Obviously, my dream reflected the events of that week, but now this then teenager appeared [in my dream] as an incessantly giggling eight year old surrounded by elders. I blurted out: "How can you be giggling when your cousin was just killed!" Everyone, including me, was astonished. Someone spoke up saying: "Mark, Andy was not her cousin, but even if she were, how could you talk that way to a little girl?" For once I had nothing to say.

I didn't initially recall the dream when I had awakened early [several hours before services] that Shabbat morning. As I had had no time that week to read newspapers, I grabbed several issues of the New York Times and decided to scan the planes' manifests for Neil Brier's cousin. As I had not been told the name, I was unable to come across her. But one name on a plane which departed from Boston and slammed into the Twin Towers was a Richard Ross. "Dick" [as we called him], had not only been Biff Levy's neighbor, but that Porverman cousin!

Yom Kippur night my apartment's sleep arrangement [and my schedule, but without a dream] was repeated. In the morning I searched Camp Posters to see a more recent [staff] picture of Andy. In the two I found [1981 and 1982, I believe] his co-counselor, both years, was Steve Poverman.

BARUCH DAYAN EMET

mark@lgpltd.com