Bugle Calls

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Uncle Moish

Re: "BOMBING ANYTHING THAT MOVES"

Post by Uncle Moish »

I am not certain what life is like in the southern part of the "no fly zone", but thanks to the free and open environment our Kurdish brethren have [painstakingly] built in the North, Western [and other] reporters have had free reign to see for themselves. Irrespective of political stripe, they unanimously report the existence of energetic life rhythms governed by democratically elected representatives. [So, if you hear that there is but one democracy in the Middle East, please correct this falacy.]

THIS WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE IF, INDEED, "ANYTHING THAT MOVES" WOULD HAVE GOTTEN BOMBED.

However, had Iraqi soldiers moved against them in their Kurdish [northern] Autonomous region, they indeed would have gotten bombed. Because of this, there was neither movement nor bombings.

The Kurds number over 20 million persons, more than the number of Jews in the world, and perhaps five or six times the number of Arabs living west of the Jordan. In addition to one openly Jewish nation, there are three others which [while not practicing Judaism] have population where persons of Hebrew descent are in the majority [or at least have a plurality] and are governed by same. And there are at least a dozen nations where the same holds true concerning my Arab cousins.

There is no exists no [credible] principle, Wilsonian or otherwise, warranting the denial to the Kurdish people of their own entity. I hope and pray that they need not, as a consequence, endure further suffering.

I am very proud of the Alton community [yes, Neil, I probably spent as many Friday nights at Ethical Discussion [since it was born] as I had at services] for both its interest and concern as well as the fact that we can disagree with each other civilly [and with love]. But let's not fail to recognize that this is going to proceed to its conclusion and any road-blocks will only make the process longer and the [now unavoidable] suffering deeper. This fact must take precedence over any narrow political interests [or widening egos].

B'ahavat Alton,
Uncle Markie

mark@lgpltd.com
DDD

Re: Iraq (and Roll)

Post by DDD »

The way I see it, over the long term the US has involved in ambiguous ways with Saddam's regime.

- the US supported Saddam against Iran during their war. Materials were supplied. Mr. Rumsfeld himself was involved. Even before that, the US was involved, going back into the 1960's.

- the Kurds and the Sh'ia got screwed at the end of the 1991 Gulf War, as the US had encouraged uprisings, but when they occured in both the North and the South, the US forces did not support the locals, who were gassed and bombed. Saddam's regime was allowed to continue under GB the First, probably due to geopolitics - hope to balance Iraqi power between Syria & Iran, keep the Saudis a little on edge, etc.

[url=http://theonion.com]http://theonion.com[/url]
ddavis@copyright.com
Uncle Moish

Re:Iraq(andRoll)

Post by Uncle Moish »

Reb Dovid,

Let's hope and pray we learn from our past mistakes [moral and practical] and this time, after full liberation, never again abandon people yearning to perpetuate their cultural heritage, practice a different [or differen form of] religion, speak their own language [and utilize it to teach their children] and establish, freely and openly, their own governmental and other institutions.

Uncle Markie

mark@lgpltd.com
The Jerkin Josh

Re:"BOMBING ANYTHING THAT MOVES"

Post by The Jerkin Josh »

Marky,
You obviously understood what I meant by the above quote... your semantic dissembling notwithstanding. The Kurds are there, protected by our forces. Saddam wouldn't dare touch them, you admit this yourself...The question is not whether Saddam is a bad guy...the question is why at this point in time, Bush has suddenly claimed the moral high ground, decided to "liberate" the Iraqis by bombibng the crap out of them, thrown 200 years of civil rights out the window, and alienated the majority of the international community at a cost of many lives and $100 BILLION not counting the cost of repairing everything we wrecked. Saddam's threat to the world has not changed one wink, Osama and his minions (the people we should be going after) are still out there, and if you think the world will be a safer place with Saddam gone, what about the 3 billion other people we are pissing off with our "moral high ground" bull.

nyncboy@mail.skyrunner.net
Uncle Moish

Re:"BOMBING ANYTHING THAT MOVES"

Post by Uncle Moish »

Joshie,

According to reports, our forces are NOW on the ground in the Kurdish areas and, G-d willing, the Kurdish populace will not have to endure the suffering they traditionally experience in these circumstances.

I believe when this is over Iraq will be a better and happier place and the world significantly safer.

"Why now/why there?" Better late than never. And "there" because, as I said when asked about Biafra [which did not succeed] and Bangla Desh [which did], "worst first" when/if there is a fair chance of success.

Joshie, I know you well. You grew up a mere three blocks from the slum I still inhabit. I am sure your concern for Iraqis [and others] greatly outweighs your animus towards our President [for whom, rightly or wrong, I failed to vote]. However, your writings do not reflect this innate goodness your family imbued in you and your siblings.

Shabbat Shalom,
Uncle Markie

mark@lgpltd.com