The Artist Formerly Known as Camp Alton

These are the positings from the old message board !!

KenWarshaw

The Artist Formerly Known as Camp Alton

Post by KenWarshaw »

Remember in the 80s when Prince made that "Purple Rain" album, and everyone thought he's was uncontrollably over-the-top, but then his next three or four albums made that one look like an old Pat Boone record? Remember when Michael Jackson's "Thriller" came out and everyone was calling Michael Jackson a complte freak? And now you look at him and he doesn't even resemble the guy on the cover of Thriller?

My wife and I were in New Hampshire (Squam Lake) this weekend and we decided to take a quick detour down Roberts Cove Road to check out the former spot of beautiful Camp Alton.

I have seen all of the pictures on this website, and I had it in my head that I knew what to expect, but all my preparation was useless. I was in complete shock! What used to be humble yet charismatic grey bunks, infirmaries, and dining halls were now some of the most gruesome and most grotesque displays of housing gluttony that I have ever witnessed.

While I certainly appreciate that this is a free country and people are free to do what they like within the rule of law, have we as a society lost all sense of humility and environmental responsibility?

For decades, that cite was a model of environmental frugality and responsibility and now it represents over-consumption, environmental apathy, and extreme vanity. On one house alone, there are over a dozen fireplaces, there are multiple boat houses most likely filled in the summer with high-powered toys that fill the lake with toxic fuels and fumes.

It disgusted me. As hard as I searched, and as much as I tried, I looked around and couldn't find Camp Alton anywhere.

Thanks,
Ken

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com