This Old Camp

These are the positings from the old message board !!

KenWarshaw

This Old Camp

Post by KenWarshaw »

Flipping through the channels last weekend in between football games, HGTV was airing "This Old House: Classics" and I immediately recognized the location from the pictures that are up on this website. It was indeed one of the new monstrosities that used to be our beloved Alton. The show took us through the workshops and up into the lookout towers of the new homes, but never a mention of the former life of Clay Point. I watched in horror as they went to the front of the house (which faces the lake along the bunkline (looked like Lower Camp) and saw a PAVED driveway and a minivan! Yes, a minivan, at Alton!

I don't even know what to say, I am in complete shock...please help.

Ken

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com
Gary Scharoff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ThisOldCamp

Post by Gary Scharoff »

Hey Ken,

Are you sure??? Since TOH Classics are not that new and these houses are NOT completed yet...especially anything paved? So maybe it just looked like camp...

Gary

gms@pipeline.com
Grubster

Re: ThisOldCamp

Post by Grubster »

I watch ToH Classics pretty religiously, and I caught this one "Built on the site of an old summer camp", but it was on one of the smaller lakes farther north and west in NH. I thought they initially were talking about Alton as well, but a trip to <A HREF="http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/housepr ... 41,00.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/housepr ... 00.html</A> confirmed that the job site where they were showing off that timber framing in that monstrous house with "turrets" was indeed on Squam Lake, not Winnie-P.

bgrubin@pobox.com
KenWarshaw

Re:ThisOldCamp

Post by KenWarshaw »

Yes, that was the episode...my mistake.

Still a shame though, Squam Lake is beautiful too. Are there any good summer camps left on the New Hampshire lakes?

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com