The Ancient One Blessed Be He

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Kappy

The Ancient One Blessed Be He

Post by Kappy »

I couldn't fall asleep tonight, and my thoughts turned to Alton. Camp did as much to shape my character as anything in my life. The Ol Doc has been warmly remembered by many at this site, I thought I would add a story or two.

During my Bunk I year of 1984, we took a night out to a Red Sox game. The game ended late, so by the time we were on the highway home to camp it was after midnight. The Van I was in was driven by the Ol Doc. He started to nod off as he was driving. His chin would hit his chest, the van would swerve into another lane. It was truly terrifying. I remember talking with Glenno, Putt, Goobs, and Booger about it. We all knew how dangerous this was.... someone should tell Doc to pull over. As scared as we were, the thought of pissing Doc off was even scarier. We let him drive on, and thankfully he stopped at an IHOP for coffee.

One of the greatest parts of camp was that there were so many great role models on the staff for the campers to look up to. To gain acceptance from one of these incredible people could change your life. Peter Stromberg was the toughest man I ever met. For me and many others a few kind words from him meant more than he would ever know. I will never forget the interest he showed in helping so many of us train in the weight room. Or his coming on Gunky runs or to the bleachers to share a silver bullet with us.

I miss him, I miss all of my great Alton friends, and I miss Camp!

Kappy

a.e.kaplan@att.net
Tank

Re: The Ancient One Blessed Be He

Post by Tank »

Kappy,

Reading your post gave me chills. Camp and the people there meant so much to so many. Particularly, the Doc. My wife never met him, but she'll make a reference to him from time-to-time about random things that have over the years reminded me so often of him, that they now remind her of him.

I remember returning to camp as a senior counselor in 1990 after a 6 summer absence. Doc had been through a lot during those 6 years in the late 80's, but on our first encounter after the hiatus, he sauntered over to me, looked me right in the eye and told me about a hit I had 7 years earlier to win a key game in the Robin Hood tournament, and how much winning that game and the finals the next day meant to him. That simple gesture not only welcomed me back to my summer home, but also left an indelible warm feeling in me that stays with me always. He was a great man and was the embodiment of a great camp. I miss him, I miss you Kappy, I miss discussing sports, I miss doing do-nuts at your behest on the lower tennis courts and Dusty's precious soccer field, and I miss wondering on a not-so-random tuesday in August how the Rush is going. Worse than that, I have an unbelievable hole in my stomach at the thought that my sons (ages 4 and 1) will not be able to experience any of it and I will not be able to come "home" on visiting day and re-live many of the great moments on the hallowed grounds.

Peace and a happy new year to all.

marc.b.adelman@citigroup.com