The Ol' Doc on Music Night

These are the positings from the old message board !!

KenWarshaw

The Ol' Doc on Music Night

Post by KenWarshaw »

When I discovered this website several months ago, I was very excited to see so many people that hold on to their Alton memories, but also very saddened at hearing that the Ol' Doc had left us. So I wanted to share a moment that I think about often and it always makes me laugh. To me, this moment WAS Doc.

It was a Friday or Saturday about an hour before dinner assembly and we (The Alton Brothers Band) had just gotten to the Rec Hall for a rehearsal as the famous (infamous) "Bunk I Chorus" was trying to wrap up their practice. Anyone who has heard the many versions of the Bunk I Chorus (of which I was a reluctant member in 1985) knows that their sound can be a bit...well...harsh. So, with Dusty conducting (that might explain it right there) and Joe DeSisto accompanying on the keyboard, the Bunk I Chorus enthusiastically belted out the single worst version of "Surfin USA" this world has ever seen (and probably will EVER see). So just before the boys get to the second verse, Doc comes out from behind the boys, cuts them off abruptly, and says "Look, I don't need to be a Julliard graduate to know that this act stinks!" Then he immediately turns to walk off stage toward me, Dan, and Tommy G. as we were laughing hyterically at Doc's unitentional funniest line of the summer, but instead of being mad he smiled and turned around again to join to boys onstage.

Because I never got to know Doc really well, that was his defining moment for me. He was a guy who wanted things done right, he was a perfectionist. You could see it on the baseball field, you could see it in the weight room, and you could even see it on Music Night. But more than a perfectionist, he was a compassionate person who might get frustrated being around goofy 15 year old boys all summer, but he never forgot that he was once that same goofy 15 year old, and he always took everything in stride.

I never knew him like I would've liked to, but I miss him every time I remember that story.

Thanks Doc.

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com
JBass

Re: The Ol' Doc on Music Night

Post by JBass »

Hey Ken-
Forget Surfin USA, how about singing that "bwakin' (Ol' Doc reference) Yellow Rose of Texas, that dust bag had us sing!

I have the Bunk I chorus on tape as well as some I-Rock, Jesse Dyan singing his songs, and Steiny singing his remarkable version of "Dream On." I will try to have Nick upload it for everyone listening pleasure.

-JBass

jordan_cassway@icdc.com
KenWarshaw

Re: The Ol' Doc on Music Night

Post by KenWarshaw »

I can't believe you still have those tapes. If any of us ever decide to run for office, you could probably make a couple of bucks selling them to some two-bit "Before they Were Stars" tabloid show.

If you can get some of those tapes online, I'd love to hear them.

kwarshaw@linwoodcom.com