Bunk Plaques

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Mark Morris

Bunk Plaques

Post by Mark Morris »

First time back in many months. Been reading all the heavy postings. Neither star nor outcast, my jumbled memories are all good ones. Learned to swim competitively, sail, play tennis and soccer. also climbed most of the Presidential Range incl Mt Washington. Valuable terms such as wedgie, zorch, nuggie (?), pink eye, cesspool, frappe. also learned I didn't have and never would have any musical, acting or art abilities.

Two questions:

1. who remembers the year they switched 2 bunks -Green to Gray/Gray to Green because the Green was kicking ass all over the A-Field and they tried to balance it out. They made me a Gray for one summer. SHHHH. Was K-L-M in the early /mid 1970's. Anyone?

2. What happened to the little bunk plaques they made after they wouldn't let us sign our names all over the walls, rafters and doors?

mmorris@molinarokoger.com
Alex Cadan

Re: Bunk Plaques

Post by Alex Cadan »

Good question. What did become of the bunk plaques? I would love to get my hands on at least one.
Further fond memories: Does anyone remember how to do a full CLASS-A cheer? Or the ever famous WATERMELON cheer. Did anyone else play "rafterball" during rest period ... or was this an upper camp sport? I recall Dan R. shaving his head in the rec hall after the green team lost the SING (being a green ... I am sorry about that). However, in true sportsmanship, Paulie shaved his head. Does anyone recall Jack (outdoor life) with his building of the indian sweat lodge ... God it was hot!!! The circass "grease pole ... climbed it every year ... along with Jeff Weiner. Terminology: TO HACK (kick the hacky sack), TO SHVITZ (to sweat your a-s off with Uncle Markie on the Akien mile), OLD OOGIE BEACH (the vomiting upon returning from Old Orchard Beach on Trip day following parents weekend), Paul Bond will be happy to know that I still have my "water pump light" that we ALL built in shop.
Does anyone want to get together and welcome Neil to NY sometime after Laor day?

mojo7180@optonline.net
Grandson of Fatschtick

Losing the Sing

Post by Grandson of Fatschtick »

Alex:

You were close. Paule and I did have a bet on our respective sing teams. Paule was a one time Gray, who defected to the dark side when he became a Green as part of a bunk swap. I was, and still am, a lifelong Gray who agreed to get a crew cut if the Grays lost and Paule agreed to wear his hair like Bo Derek in "10", with the braids and the beads, if he lost. When the grays lost, the nurse(stroke) Jean apaprently had never given anyone a crew cut (although I understand she had other special skills) and the final product did resemble a shaved head. Shortly thereafter, Paule wore his Bo look on a night-out, because he allegedly felt bad for me. Those who were close to him always knew that this was really just a way to act out his lifelong dream of cross-dressing, which was unfairly curbed when Peter G. banned the Andrew sisters from the Circass.
The other thing I remember about that haircut was that it was great for Curly schtick several nights later on wrestling night. Although the Curly schtick went out the window when after respectfully asking my wrestling opponents to stay away from a broken toe, Andrew Kimble bit that toe during the match, prompting me to ignore whatever script had been written, with J. Floyd yelling from the wings "Look out boys, he's gone bezerk. I've seen the look!" Unfortunately, the match culminated in a reverse ladder drop while holding onto the rafters in which I missed Kimble and unfairly struck Ted Arrons, who shortly regained feeling below his waist and who probably still suffers from back trouble today.

drabinovitz@dwyercollora.com
Alex Cadan

I stand corrected

Post by Alex Cadan »

Oh my God you were right. See what 20 years will do to the brain. On a lighter note, how have you been?

mojo7180@optonline.net
Richard Rosenthal

Re: I stand corrected

Post by Richard Rosenthal »

In 1978, the green seniors destroyed the grey seniors in just about every sport. Following the loss of Jay Jay and Connie Cheatam, who had to go home to NY for a family emergency) Peter instrumented the trade of Paul Levitan and Jeffrey Grocer(long time Greys) for J. Horing and greg Willinger(?). They also took away the 15's from the flag rush because there were not enough seniors to guard all the flags. That lead to the worst rush in history in which no seniors flags were brought over. To compensate, the seniors were given the first camp social( an event that still has lasting scars)To no avail, the greens won anyway

rrosenthal@firstfinancialtrust.com
D'v'd D'v'S

Post by D'v'd D'v'S »

The sweat lodge was so outre , I think it was a cool thing to have ever thought of, let alone done. CA was never into 'Indian' stuff - you can read more about why in the Chief's book 'A Teacher Speaks' -

Dave Davis
David Horing

Post by David Horing »

I was one of the traded seniors in 1978 (D. Horing not my younger brother J. Horing). After 7 years as a Green, it was, as you can all imagine, a traumatic experience being swapped to the dark side. My memory is badly faded, but I think as R. Rosenthal remembers, we were winning big as greens, and after the trade in mid-summer, made a partial comeback as Grays but never made it all the way back.
JBass

Post by JBass »

I happen to have some bunk plaques and will be listing them on Ebay shortly...
-Jbass

But seriosly, I will check them out and report back to all that are interested.

jordan_cassway@icdc.com
Adam Weisman

Post by Adam Weisman »

tramatic for you? How do you think we felt having you meanie Greenies invade (yes, I was a Green in '71, but Jeff Grosser got switched in '72). Anyway, at least you and Ritchie got to experience a win in the sing, something that the Green team did not experenice in my entire Alton career ('71 thru '78)!

Question for the masses?.when did the Greens finally win the Sing????

ajwcaw12@yahoo.com
Adam Weisman

Post by Adam Weisman »

Your memory must be really bad! Billy Bachman brought over a ?35? in the first half (the one that you nailed me with on the track).
The ?78 Flag Rush was the first played entirely without woodsmen.

Hope you are well.
Adam

ajwcaw12@yahoo.com
ntpf

Post by ntpf »

the greens won from 1979 until 1984
the entire run of my camper years (i was a gray)despite our cheers and pleas of "do it again make it ten"
of course, in my c.i.t. year, the grays won
i don't rememeber the stats after that, perhaps the camp historian, Dr. Yoffe, can chime in on this one

nick_cassway@icdc.com
Steven Barg

Rush '77; Big Plaques and Egg Foo Young

Post by Steven Barg »

Mr. Weisman is correct about '78 being the first rush completely without woodsmen. This tradition began in the second half of the '77 rush (why, for the life of me, I don't have a clue). He may remember guarding the big Schtick when Danny Atkins and I came from around the tennis courts and took him by surprise. Danny, being much faster than me (not saying much) grabbed the fifty and took off. I went for the Volleyball "35" and was instantly brought down by the Professor in an effortless solo tackle.

I may have missed this, but whatever happened to the big plaques that were in the Rec Hall? And what about those ubiquitous big wooden chairs that sat in the Upper Camp Lodge and were the province of counselors only on Movie Nights?

Has anyone written an Egg Foo Young rule book? Do you have to run backwards around the bases? It's time to teach my kids a proper sport.

steven.barg@csfb.com
DDD

Re: Rush '77; Big Plaques and Egg Foo Young

Post by DDD »

The big plaques were auctioned off, I believe.

DDD

ddavis@copyright.com
Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

Nick can account for 1979 - 1984 Greens won all sings...
I was a camper from 1985 - 1992 Grays won all sings...
I would probably need counseling for blaming myself for losing the sing every year for the greens if there was any possibility of a correlation between my inability to carry a tune and the gray dominance...but since I was tapped every year, I rest easy at night.

dganick@bosben.com
Paule

Re: Losing the Sing

Post by Paule »

Beef

It wasn't Bo Derek, it was early Alan Iverson. Even if it looked like Bo, that was the only cross dressing experience. Wait, I guess there was also the Senior Play of 1978 where I was the nurse. Oh yeah, there was the 1982 or 1983 musical act "The So-So's" with Ramo and Kimby and Bucky and Danny Shearer. Uh-oh. Back to therapy.

Paule

paul@levitanfamily.com