"BARF NIGHT"

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Harold "Peanuts&

"BARF NIGHT"

Post by Harold "Peanuts& »

Dear Alton Campers:

Recently, I was reminded of an event that took place fifty (50) years ago at Camp. Imagine, this reminder came from our distinguished jurist in Burlington, Vermont who says he was not yet a camper but heard so much about "Barf Night" that he remembered the date. I was a nine (9) year old camper in J-1 with Eddie and Fritzie Goldman as bunk parents that year.

The event began innocently enough. It was the night of parents visiting day. After their exodus, we ate dinner, had our evening activity and went to bed. I was awakended during the night by very unusual noise in the cabin. It turned out that every one of my bunk mates was barfing. Most of them were unable to make it to the bathroom. Counselors were trying to cope, but they too were barfing. When I woke and asked a counselor what was going on, he asked how I was feeling. I said I was fine. So, without answering my question, in true counselor fashion, he told me to go back to sleep. I did, never getting sick, the only non-barfer in my cabin.

It turned our that almost the entire camp was sick with food poisening from lunch. Many of the parents became sick as well. Thank goodness we were still using the ice house in that year. It provided those who were able with clean up material of sawdust used to insulate the ice blocks. No health officials, no press coverage. Just imagine if that event occurred today at a camp.

I think that my reward for not barfing that night was to be entered into the pie eating contest on "Circass Day" against Nort Levy and a large upper-camper. (Remember, I was very small in those days)

Anyway, my friend from Vermont suggessted that I mention this 50th anniversary event and perhaps find some way to commemorate it. The best I can think of for now is to suggest a mock re-creation of the event on the premises where it occured. Sort of like a modern day Boston Tea Party. Such a re-creation will serve at least two purposes. One, to remember the event itself, and two, to display vividly our feelings for what is going on now on the grounds we all so fondly remember.

Any other ideas or recollections?

H.Kowal@Verizon.net