Camp Suggestions Needed

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Barry Silverstein

Camp Suggestions Needed

Post by Barry Silverstein »

So Alton Alumni, anyone have experience with camps for your kids that you would recommend for us. My daughter is 9, and son is 6 (a couple of years away from overnight). We are looking for a camp with the spirit and orientation of Alton in New Hampshire or Maine, ideally co-ed or brother-sister camps. Let me know any ideas you have. Thanks. <A HREF="mailto:bsilver@arnny.com">bsilver@arnny.com</A>
Go Sox!

bsilver@arnny.com
Danny Chinich

Re: Camp Suggestions Needed

Post by Danny Chinich »

Camp Skyelemar in NAples,Maine a mirror image of alton for jocks.

danielchinich@warnerbros.com
Judah Plotner

Post by Judah Plotner »

I agree with Danny. My 11 year old son just attended the first session of Skylemar and had a fantastic experience. Lots of sports with great instruction and even good food.

jplotner@jefco.com
Tony Gillott

Post by Tony Gillott »

Hi
You could try this and maybe get some info.
Association of Jewish Sponsored Camps
Regards
Tony

tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk
Chuck Goldman

Post by Chuck Goldman »

My niece loved Camp Matoaka and my nephews love Camp Caribou, both in Maine. Chris Berman of ESPN, who hopes to be Stoney one day, has a son in my younger nephew's bunk - Chris is supposedly a great guy off camera too...Also, try Camp Samoset in Maine, which apparently received an influx of Alton refugees and has a flag rush...

cjgoldman@attbi.com
Elmer

Post by Elmer »

Chuck-
After Alton closed in 92 I switched over to Camp Manitou, the brother camp of Camp Matoaka. The first summer there were approximately 15 of us that switched over from Alton and almost all of us loved it. I believe 10 people still remained for 3-4 summers and this is my first summer not back (I finally joined the real world). As you might know, Camp Manitou and Camp Caribou are rival camps athletically and I have traveled to Caribou many times. I have not been able to find many reasons why I would want to go to Caribou over Manitou. I am interested to know why your newphews chose the 'Bou over Manitou? I do not want to start a war about this (although a small war obviously already exists between the Tou and the Bou), I am just interested if you know why your nephews are at Caribou and not Manitou?

P.S. If you are looking for a co-ed camp I had a bunch of fiends that went to Camp Robin Hood in N.H. that loved it. Alton used to compete against them in a bunch of sports and it went Co-ed in 87 or so.

elmer18@aol.com
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Elmer,

I don't know why, but I hated hearing that you loved another camp. I can't believe how bitter I still am about Peter closing Camp. Was your other Camp as great as ALton. I don't see how it could have been.

a.e.kaplan@att.net
Elmer

Post by Elmer »

Kappy-
I am too still bitter about the closing of Alton. There is no doubt in my mind that if Alton were still open the 9 summers I spent at Manitou would have been spent at Alton instead. It would also be difficult for me to call one camp better than the other especially because all of my time at Alton was as a camper and most of my time at Manitou was as a counselor and I believe the experiences are very different! I definitely value every summer I spent at Alton and I regret not being able to finish off my camper days there.

If Alton had re-opened during my time at Manitou, I probably would have returned to Alton especailly if other people returned with me! It took me a few years to like Manitou since I was comparing it to Alton but Manitou is definitely a great camp and although I wish I was at Alton that whole time I had an amazing time at Manitou as well.

There are a bunch of guys that went to Samoset after Alton closed including the Stone and Kovick brothers. I imagine they will tell a similar story that even though Alton was amazing, being at a camp is more fun than other summer activites. Both Samoset and Manitou had a large population of Alton campers in the summer of 93 so even though it wasn't Alton, we were able to spend summers at camp with Alton people!

by the way, the 15 and under soccer team was better at Alton than at Manitou! but Manitou does have lights, hot water, and showers in the bunks which is nice!

elmer18@aol.com
Grant Hecht

Post by Grant Hecht »

Well, alton was nice, but as a good jewish boy from Newton, Manitou certainly offered some things Alton didn't. I mean I love Elmer, but no need to be in a shower room with him. Lights, outlets, and showers in the bunks certainly made things a little easier. Also I can not speak for Elmer, but experiencing Manitou as both a camper and a counselor, hey they even made me a director, gave me a great perspective. I love hearing yalls stories about nights at Alton, however my nights consisted of flashlights and sleep by whatever time Fresh and Ducky would make us. However, the competetive spirit at Alton was amazing and don't think I have seen its equal anywhere. So go Green, and I look forward to seeing one and all at Newton Bowl 30.

Grant

ghecht33@aol.com
Rob Stone

Post by Rob Stone »

Grant proclaimed the ease of lights and electricity, and Kappy asked Elmer if his other camp was as great as Alton. It got me thinking and I wanted to post a response. I remember calling camps with electricity or coke machines "pussy camps." We were defensive-- but probably just jealous. We were also confident that Alton was the greatest place in the world and that it was one of a kind. But was it? I have spoken with hundreds of kids about summer camps and camp experiences-- and having had the experience of working at another camp post-Alton, and talking with multiple camp directors, it increasingly occurs to me that Alton really was was unique. While the program was strong and varied, so are the programs of other camps. Alton was physically beautiful and had great faciltities, so is this true of other camps (in fact, many camps have twice the facilities of Alton) There are also wonderful people at every camp, and it is possible for a kid/counselor to find true friendships at most camps. What sets Alton apart, for me, is a genuine and steadfast commitment to both community and individual growth. Alton was isolated, had no frills (phones, coke machine, lights, showers, etc...), and maintained a consistent program for years and years. These conditions were not accidental-- they were decisions (it would have been quite simple to adjust any of these). They were not changed for the same reason that walkmans were not allowed at camp. Walkmans enabled kids to turn inward-- the exact opposite goal of community. Showering next to our bunkmates forced us to literally reveal ourselves to one another-- we were vulnerable and couldn't hide (even though we wished some people would-- Stew or Herbie for instance). But once we made it through that moment, we knew each other better and our guards were down-- this certainly contributed to feelings of brotherhood and comfort with one another. The absense of lights and electricity forced late night bunk conversation and activities (I remember walking back in groups because nobody wanted to be the first one alone in the bunk after dark) that allowed us to know one another more deeply. The absense of phones, tv, and close contact with the outside world allowed no escape and forced us to find entertainment within our own camp-- which we did in a multitude of ways. I have yet to see comedy television that can rival the camp schtick that pervaded every aspect of camp, or anything as scarey/exciting as the fear of a masked wrestler strike, or a concert as moving as final music night. We created our own society out of necessity-- and it flourished because we were encouraged to contribute. All we had was each other. The more we gave the better. The program gave campers a role within the community-- they were on a team from day one and thus had a place beyond the bunk alone. It also stayed the same which gave us a routine that we could quickly and fully understand-- a predictability that provided more comfort. The return rate also achieved this. We could all see oursleves as future bunk-Iers or great counselors-- we all had our role models within the camp. We returned year after year because that's what we were supposed to do-- it felt right. We believed in the community because it believed in us-- individual growth was a priority so it never felt stale or redundant. Campers and counselors were expected to give more to the community over time-- and we were given the space to take risks and define our own role without any real fear of failure. What an incredible opportunity! Some of us wrote articles or put together the Almanac, we coached, we acted in skits, we made up special events, we created electives, we sang, we ran activities, we worked in the kitchen, or made several types of croutons, etc... we were only limited by our creativity and motivational energy. Responsibilty was desired and counselors often gained acceptance based upon contibutions and commitment to the camp. The point is that somehow Alton was a place in which people could find a worthwhile role within a complete community that demanded a great deal, yet nurtured the individual and encouraged participation. It is rare to find this delicate balance anywhere. Much of this stems from Alton's education origins-- a foundation that few camps can claim. Decisions were based on intelligence and educational merrit. Alton was a community first and a business second. There are hundreds of great camps out there. But, few are willing or able to create the conditions and commit to the philosophy that made the Alton community live and breathe. A community like Alton is a rarity. We were and continue to be very lucky.

rstone29@aol.com