Camp's Final Year

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Gary Scharoff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ask Dusty!

Post by Gary Scharoff »

Hey maybe someone should just ask Dusty..found him at:
The Brooks School...N. Andover, MA with the following Bio:

Myles Richard

E-mail address: <A HREF="mailto:drichard@brooksschool.org">drichard@brooksschool.org</A>
Phone Number: 978-725-6300 ext. 3264
Department: Mathematics
Year Appointed: 1978
Biographical Info: Myles J. Richard, known to colleagues and students as Dusty, came to Brooks in 1978. He is chair of the Mathematics Department and coaches varsity boys' soccer. Dusty, who has a B.S. from Union, lives on campus.

Degrees: B.S. Union College

gms@pipeline.com
Barry Silverstein

Re: Ask Dusty!

Post by Barry Silverstein »

The mystery and rumors around the closing of camp are a bit disturbing. Clearly whatever caused Peter to close the camp can't be discussed, perhaps a trip to Rome and consultations with the Pontiff are in order for those who were there and in charge at the time.

bsilver@arnny.com
Kappy

Re: Camp's Final Year

Post by Kappy »

I have to side with Jordy on this one. Peter closed the camp out of selfishness. I do not think issues surrounding Dusty caused Camp to close, but I think they convinced Peter that running camp required more effort than he was willing to put out. I heard Peter say on many occasions that Camp was bigger than any one person. That is about the only thing I agree with him on. This web page shows how important Camp was to so many people. It is tragic that one person could close the site of Camp Alton, fortunately he did not have the power to close down the community. It clearly was selfish to deprive all of our children the opportunity to attend Camp Alton. I do not see how anyone can deny that!

Kappy

a.e.kaplan@att.net
David Witkin

Post by David Witkin »

I respect Kappy very much, even when he was ordering a grilled cheese sandwich at the Lobster Pound. I think his analysis is right: maybe Peter just chose to be a full-time author and media person instead of a camp director, with all its attendant BS and admin. headaches. The circumstances made for some compelling conspirancy theories, and I don't know why others weren't allowed to try and save Camp, but a lot of other summer camps in the Lakes Region (not to mention Dot's Lunch) have closed for what are probably completely transparent reasons. But I do miss my 5th period "nap".

witkin6@aol.com
Uncle Moish

Re: Too Harsh

Post by Uncle Moish »

Duvkie,

You are much too harsh on poor Kappy. Ordering a grilled cheese sandwich instead of Lobby can have very great significance.

Now, had it been a tuna roll, that indeed would be a capital crime [grime].

Keep well,

Reb Moish

mark@lgpltd.com
Mel Kohn

Post by Mel Kohn »

David:

5th period nap? I miss the begining of rest period to first swim...about 3 hours!!!

Mel

MHK0711@AOL.COM