Jeffrey

These are the positings from the old message board !!

NTPF

Jeffrey

Post by NTPF »

Dear Friends

I became close to Jeffrey over the last three years when he moved up to Philadelphia. The day I got a phone call from Jeffrey Greenfield, I thought it was Jordy playing a trick on me, given that Jeffrey had given me the wrong phone number didn't help the conviction of the claim. Jeffrey had moved into an apartment owned by his freind Lenny from Franconia College and also took a job as a doorman in one of Lenny's buildings in town. It was really interesting to be able to walk down the street and be able to see a person who was, in my mind at least, a legend. We hung out, kibbitzed, made phone calls to various camp people (including Peter G. who still asked me why Jordy didn't speak to him anymore.)

Jeffrey's health problems kicked in, he had a lot of complications from the diabetes that forced him to stop working and he wound up in the hospital numerous times. I visited him almost everytime he was in the hospital, including in the intensive care unit after his triple bypass surgery. Jeffrey was amazing in his spirit, no matter how much was going on in his life, no matter how much pain he was in, he always tried to make a joke, make friends with the nurses and orderlies, or just share a general warmth.

Jeffrey had to deal with a lot of physical pain from the numerous operations he had undergone and a while back he was prescribed perscription pain medication to which he became overly dependent and was forced to quit. He stopped taking the meds, but was still in pain and turned to other forms of not-so-legal medication. Jeffrey wound up in a drug and alcohol treatment center, when I asked him how he wound up there he said "I'm no choirboy."

The last I saw Jeff, I picked him up at the center and brought him back to his apartment. I made plans to help him move on Saturday, he was planning on going to Florida, and continue rehab down there. Unfortunately, I never got to see Jeff on the day we planned, I was running late, and Jeff had gone out to pick up the rental van. Jeffrey had also decided to not go to Florida but to move in with a woman he had just met. Admittedly, I was upset that he hadn't told me that earlier as I thought this probably wasn't the best idea. I didn't have too much time to hang around for him to return so I never got a chance to help him or say goodbye.

When I think about camp, about the spirit, about the love of the land, about the humor that ran so deep in our existence there and now, I think about Jeffrey. We became friends when I was in bunk F, at age 11, Jeff and I walked out to the point on the last night of camp before final assembly and we talked about camp history, schtick, and observations about how beautiful it was on our sacred ground. In Philadelphia, Jeffrey always introduced me as his camper (although I was never really his camper, I did give him backrubs for candybars and warm soda when he came up to camp and visited) and that gave a me a great feeling of being forever connected to camp. For me, Jeffrey was the physical embodiment of camp, being with Jeff made me feel as if I was walking up the upper camp bunkline towards the point and looking out over the lake. He will be missed

Nick

nick_cassway@icdc.com
DDD

Re: Jeffrey

Post by DDD »

Thanks, Nick. That was a moving tribute.

For my own part, I am speechless. It seems impossible, like death of the ol' Doc, the closing of camp, or the dividing of the site into lots seemed impossible.

He was a good hearted and entertaining man, and I feel enriched by having known him, although I only knew him a little.

DDD
Richard Cohen

Post by Richard Cohen »

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I received this email from Richard Cohen and decided to place it here with his permission(Gary)</FONT>

They may seem like distant memories, but just to hear the name "Jeff Greenfield" is to invoke a bygone but much treasured world. Beyond his legendary stature known to all, Jeff was my bunk counselor for my senior year (the one month in bunk I). Hard to imagine a world without him. Condolences to his family, condolences to us all from Camp Alton days (and especially to the great and noble Gray team).

Richard Cohen

RichACohen@aol.com
Don (Donnie) Unger

Post by Don (Donnie) Unger »

Thanks to Mark Brecker, I found out that Jeff was in the hospital a short while back. I actually called him and I know that we both had smiles on our faces by the end of the conversation, remembering the "good old days". I remember the summer we all contributed our chuzzary to make sure that Jeff exceeded the weight limit before going for his draft board physical. I remember the following summer, Jeff's Biafra diet where he lost over 100 pounds in 2 months.

We all have our secrets and our dark sides. I guess Jeff was no exception. It is just sad to think that someone we all knew and cared about had such a hard time for so long.

Don Unger

altonite@aol.com
Adam Bronstein

Post by Adam Bronstein »

My father died during my first summer at Alton when I was 9 years old. Guess who took me under his wing and became my big brother that summer? Jeffrey, of course. Our friendship continued thereafter, because he lived on Eleanor Road in Newton, right around the corner from me. I was always struck by the way he took a genuine, personal interest in my life, regardless of what was going on in his. Jeffrey and I were out of touch for some 25 years until I got a call from him about two years ago. He and I were again living quite close to each other, this time in Philadelphia. We've spent a lot of time together over the past couple of years, often with me at the foot of his hospital bed. This time around, just as when I was a child, he wanted to talk about how I was doing, rather than dwell on himself. Acknowledgments to Winston Watnick for doing so much for Jeffrey over these past years, and past couple days since Jeffrey's death. Acknowledgments also to Lenny Feinberg for "giving Jeffrey a few more years of life", as Winston puts it. Goodbye, friend.

bbronsteins@cs.com
Cibs

Post by Cibs »

I had not talked to or seen Big Jeff since my last visit to Alton in 1978. My wife and I were working at Camp Kingswood in Bridgton Maine. My Brother Larry and his wife met us for the day at the Portsmouth Circle... Naturally we decided to head to Wolfeboro and see if Peter might let us in for a few minute visit.

Peter was gracious and allowed us to show the splendor of Alton to our spouses... As I walked throught he Dining hall -- A familiar voice said, "Hello Cibs" It was the Big Man himself - Reb Tevye, but now a svelte version. We chatted for a few minutes and then said our good to see ya's.

About five weeks ago, I got Jeffrey's Hospital phone number from a posting on the web... I was anxious as I called the number hoping that nearly 25 years would not dim memories -- hoping that I would not have to explain, who I was and endure the awkwardness of not being remembered....

Jeffrey answered the phone --- I cautiously said -- "Hey Tevye, It's Little Cibs, Jerry Cibley"....

"Cibs" he roared how are you... Are your Parents still living in Newton? How is your Brother Larry?

I am so glad that I made the call.... His spirit was strong, his sparkle so present... We chatted for about ten minutes that day.... Ten minutes which will be remebered for a lifetime....

Goodbye old friend, rest in peace. I am sure that you and the Doc will be meeting with the Chief to plan this Summer's Flag Rush....

Jerry@odysseysol.com
Wingfoot (Jeff Goldstein)

Post by Wingfoot (Jeff Goldstein) »

Jeffrey's words still are relayed to my pitcher each and every game we play in Little League when struggling and they are " just throw wall to wall heat". Ahhhhh he was fun wasn't he. You know your a legend at camp when everyone knows who your talking about by using their first name only. Ordering one short rib and one long one w/ extra duck sauce as his spirit in people lives on.
michael stone

Post by michael stone »

Whenever I talk about camp to people,somehow Jeffrey comes up..I tell of the funniest person i ever met in my life...the memories i have of him could fill pages...He always made me laugh...Whether he was busting my balls about never getting a flag..telling me why I wont get into the family..how i kissed too much ass to make prize camper in 74..or giving me credit for having a job i alaways wanted..he made me smile...he took me to fenway for the first time in the summer of 75...we found out that luis tiant was not pitching..and diego segui was gonna be his replacement..he said"stoney,its your call we can go back cause the sox are gonna be blowin the big boys tonight"...we went anyway and he was right ...the sox got blown out.....he always encouraged me to live my dream which i did....he was the kind of guy that just made you smile(with or without the assistance of The Captain)

When I came home to Philly for a 4 day weekend I met Jeffrey,Moishe,Sid,Tony Gillott,Jordy,and someone else Adam I think..(Sorry My memory not so good)..He did not look well,but Jeffrey smiled and laughed and made fun of us like old times...I regret not calling him after seeing him...That really pisses me off now...but I am so glad that I got to be with him for 2 hours...Jeffrey..Fatschtick....Legend...You had the spirit that Camp Alton was all about...May you rest in peace.......

stoneyfan@aol.com
Michael Granoff

Post by Michael Granoff »

The last time I saw Jeff was at Phin's 90th birthday party. He was, at that point, walking with difficulty, and in obvious discomfort. I hadn't seen him for quite a while, but he walked up to me and put his arm around my shoulder like we'd just seen each other, and said, "So Michael!
are we gonna do any VIGNETTES today???" Always schtick with Jeffery. But he knew all of us like we belonged to him. How we were all doing was more important to him than anything else -- and you always knew with Jeff -- it was quite sincere.

When I've described Jeff to people who never knew him, I always included the detailed accounts of how to form the proper punim, or how he'd bounce a lower-camper's head off his stomach. ...
My fondest memory of Jeff, though, is definitely his sense of humor; master of the one-liner, always perfectly timed. He made all of us laugh, and I'll never forget his warmth and spirit.

mgranoff@primecard.com
Tony Gillott

Chief getting a word in!!!

Post by Tony Gillott »

Great sentiments, but do you seriously think that Chief would get a word in when Doc and Jeff meet up after 10 years!

tonygillott@yahoo.co.uk
Bryan Lurie

Post by Bryan Lurie »

Jeffrey was the bunk parent when I was a counselor in L (I think?!?) in 1976. All summer long my socks somehow kept ending up in his room. Other stuff too, towels, etc. Oh well. He had some other moves too, particularly "the hookie", a deadly hook shot from four feet out. He would announce it and you still couldn't do anything about it. I remember him jogging up the bunk line in his 180 pound phase and being amazed by how he would frantically pop back shrimp in his heavier incarnations. I remember his laugh when me, Tager and Kleystadt showed up after a night out slightly worse for the wear and tear. And of course, he sang a mean "Satisfaction" - the stage shook. It takes me back, all these years later. I wasn't in touch with Jeffrey all those years although people I know were and I would hear about him, mostly his travails. In retrospect he was one of those rare people whose love for things and for life rubbed off on you. Perhaps this sentence needs some explanation, but I hope not. Anyway, I would give something to find myself right now under the pine trees, walking along the bunkline at night, in the peace and quiet, reliving the joys and pains of adolescence, and shooting the shit with some of the kindred spirits up at Alton. Camp is where it belongs now. Good night all!

blurie@mindspring.com