What ever became of the Worcester Bowl ?

These are the positings from the old message board !!

Sid

What ever became of the Worcester Bowl ?

Post by Sid »

Yo guys,

I've been following the postings about both the Brooklyn and the Newton Bowls but, I'm wondering what ever became of the Worcester (I think that's how it's spelled) Bowl. This event was also an annual get together of Altonites the likes of the Battling Biffer, Mighty Mouse, Fudgie, Kid Cadiff and many others too numerous to mention. I never did attended the festivities (having never been invited) and I'm curious to know if that tradition lives on.
Can anyone shed some light on this and the recent history (if any) of this event ?

mclevy@xpnonline.net
Mark the Klutz

Re: What ever became of the Worcester Bowl ?

Post by Mark the Klutz »

My first Worcester Bowl was in 1970. It was the last time the "Worcester Bowl" was played out in Worcester. Do you think there was connection?

The next year we played at BU's stadium, thanks to an "in" we had in the person of one Jeffrey [Michael] Green [who ended The Battling Biffer's "Tempus Fugit"]. I spent Shabbos at Julia's in Cambridge, and after shul Dennis Krumholz [awarded the 50 circa 1967?] and I jogged over the bridge to the stadium.

In subsequent years we frolicked at a park in Newton not far from Big Jeff's, Mark and Howie Cooper's, et. al. After a while we got "chilled" and went to a nearby watering hole for some warmth.

Each year thereafter we found [due to aging] the need for liquid refreshment earlier and earlier, and then one year, it seems, it disappeared.

It was an event right up my alley; skills and brains were not required. I miss it muchly and am very thankful to Sam for the birth of its distant cousin here in the Big Apple. Hope to see you all there [and be gentle to "someone" over 50!]

Uncle Moish

P.S. Does anyone recall the winter almanac article [of the '70's] "Reminiscences of a Klutz"?

mark@lgpltd.com